Thursday, May 8, 2008

What Makes Doctor Who So Successful?

Subscribe in a Reader

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

by Jayen Woods

I believe the first ever Doctor Who episode I ever watched must have been when I was around five or six; it was one of the old black and white episodes featuring the second doctor. I was absolutely glued to the television set from beginning to end. I just found the whole concept intriguing, the whole Tardis concept being bigger on the inside than the out, time travel, time loads, unconventional villains set in worlds totally different from our own and then you had some of the greatest villains ever created, the Daleks and the Cyber men.



For me there is no doubt in my mind that the Daleks are the best villains ever created, I just feel that other Sci-Fi villains that have been created over the years like the Borg or the Dominion from Star Trek just don't compare when you consider just how truly evil the Daleks are. It's that evil aspect to them that make them so powerful as characters, who can forget their shrieking voices? EXTERMINAT!!! EXTERMINAT!!!



And of cause no great series would be complete with out some great unique and different theme music and Doctor Who is no exception to this rule. The theme music in Doctor Who was one of the things that truly struck me about the whole series from the first time I heard it, different and unique are truly a understatement, it's probable the most unique and different piece of music ever created! It also is one of the first ever electronic pieces of music ever created; most people have no idea just how hard it was to create that kind of music in those days. Unlike today where we can just use a mixer to edit where we want sounds to go, in those days the only way to do it was to physically cut up the old tapes that the sound was recorded on and then stick the tapes back together where you wanted the sounds to change. It took the team who created the theme tune months of work, working all hours to get it together! The result; a truly timeless piece, even today it doesn't sound dated because quite simply there has never been anything like it! In the new Doctor Who series they have change the tune, adding to it some extra sounds, personally I don't like it because the sounds added are more normal and take away from the original uniqueness of the sound.



Many people's favorite Doctor from the old series was Tom Baker, but personally I've always favored John Pewee, I just loved the way he delivered his lines. I remember watching him in the sea monster episodes and countless others. Of cause there are many who say that the new and currently present Doctor for the new series; David Tennant is possibly the best ever doctor and I have to admit, he is really taking the character and flying with it! I believe he's said before now that he was a Doctor Who fan from very young and that to play in Doctor Who is a dream come true, that definitely would make sense when you look at the way he performs.



These days as I get busier and busier, I've been finding it harder and harder to find the time to sit down and view an episode on television, so recently I've been downloading Doctor Who audio books from the internet and listening to them with my mp3 player and car stereo. It's just great to be able to utilize my dead time with the enjoyment of a good Doctor Who episode, it helps me focus on my work and feel that much happier at the end of the day! Just recently I downloaded and listened to Doctor Who the Stone Rose! It's one of my favorite Doctor Who audio books from the new series, apart from having a great story line, it's narrated by David Tennant him self! All in all it's a great title.



Doctor Who audio books are also a great way to revisit some of the old episodes; some today are only available on audio book as the original television episode has been lost! All in all I find Doctor Who audio books the perfect way to enjoy the series with out taking up more of my time then I have.

Discover Dr. Who and Torchwood audio books! Read about episodes, listen to audio samples and download digital audio books like Doctor Who the Stone Rose at great prices, all at http://DoctorWhoAudioBooks.com. For 1000s more audio books for mp3 and Wma download from all categories, try visiting SpeakingAudiobook through the link above

Don't forget to download Indocquent's free social bookmark utility at http://www.indocquent.com/social_bookmark/social_bookmark_landingpage.html.

No comments: